African Travel Quarterly (Atqnews.com ), has unveiled the first shortlist of the winners of the Africa Travel 100 Global personalities awards. The African Travel 100 Global Personalities Award will take place during the 15th AKWAABA African Travel Market at Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos on the 23rd of September, 2019. Akwaaba African Travel Market is from 22nd to 24th of September 2019.
The award is expected to honour personalities in the travel and tourism sector that have exemplified themselves in the industry and contributed to the growth of the sector in Africa and in the Diaspora. The event will be part of the First African Tourism Diaspora Conference 2019. The Conference is expected to draw top tourism personalities from around the world to Lagos Nigeria.
African Tourism Diaspora Conference 2019 is to mark the 400 years of slavery. Slavery is a very sensitive topic that has created an uncomfortable relationship between Africa and its diaspora. The Conference is an opportunity to celebrate the merging of Africans, Americans, Caribbean’s and the rest of the world during this memorable gathering expected in Lagos.
Africa with 54 countries and a population of 1.2 billion has unbelievable tourist attractions. The Caribbean and African diaspora have unique culture, a rich heritage and beautiful destinations for tourists, hence the need to connect and combine these wonderful cultures and population together, creating a huge global market.
The African Diaspora Tourism Conference presents a platform to discuss, initiate, dialogue and celebrate this new relationship. However, the recognition of Africa as a beacon of hope for African people living on the continent and in the Diaspora to explore, relate and live using the African Diaspora Tourism Conference as the African platform for the foundation of this long lasting relationship. Posterity will remember that the improvement was earned not by coincidence but by conscious efforts to validate the struggles, strengths and linkages between African descendants on a Pan-African scale.
The African diaspora and Africa have same unique culture, a rich heritage and beautiful destinations for Tourism and Trade, therefore, there is a need to connect and combine these wonderful cultures and population as a market for mutual benefit.
The Africa Travel 100 Awards now in her 18th year, has recognized over the years leaders, industry practitioners and governments official who have promoted tourism and improved travel using unique platforms and new information.
Some of the past award targeted at bringing the African Travel and Tourism Practitioners together projects include;
-Africa Travel 100 for Top 100 Travel Companies in West Africa 2016
-Africa Travel 100 Women 2017
-Africa Travel 100 Tour Operators 2018
-African Legend Awards – This prestigious category is given to exceptional Industry and thought leaders, won by past president of Gambia Sir Dawda Jawara, 1st Female African Airline Captain, Capt Irene Koki Mutungi, Danny Jordaan of South Africa for World Cup 2010, Capt.
Desta Zeru -1st Capt. of B787 Dreamliner and latest was by Kumneger Tekel, an Ethiopian pioneer of M.I.C.E. in Africa.
The Africa Travel 100 global Personalities Awards initial shortlist of Winners includes:
- Rohan Vos…….Owner of Rovos Rail (South Africa)
- Frank Nneji…..Owner of ABC Transport (Nigeria)
- Tewolde Gebremariam, ……GCEO of Ethiopian Airlines
- Rahel Assefa….VP Ethiopian Airlines, Africa’s Top Ranked Lady Aviator
- Chief Allen Onyema…Chairman Air Peace, Africa’s biggest Privately Owned Airline.
- Captain Solomon Quianoo… Africa’s Top A380 Pilot (Ghana)
- Chief Togbe Afede…Chairman Africa World Airlines
Past African Legend of Travel Winners
- Waturi Wa Matu…Travel Professional (Kenya)
- Captain Desta Zeru…First African Captain of B787 Dreamliner (Ethiopia)
- Captain Irene Koki Mutungi …Africa’s Top Female Pilot (Kenya)
- Kumnegger TeKel…MICE Promoter and event Organiser (Ethiopia)
- Wolfgang Thome….online Publisher and Leading Tourism Publisher Uganda
- Jason Njoku – Publisher & Promoter IROKO TV Nigeria
- Najib Balala… Tourism Minister Kenya and CAF UNWTO President
- Elcia Grandcourt…Africa Representative UNWTO (Seychelles)
- Alain St. Ange… Former Minister of Tourism Seychelles
- Ambassador Dr. Eriaka Bennett- Head of mission AU Diaspora office
HOSPITALITY/ FACILITY OWNERS
- Ato Tadiwos Belete… Kuriftu Resort. (Ethiopia)
- Tony Elumelu….Chairman Transcorp Hotels (Nigeria)
- Oskar Ibru…Ibru Organisations leading Hospitality Investor (Nigeria)
- Professor Nzamujo.. Proprietor Songhai integrated Agricultural centre (Benin)
- Mr Samih Sawiris …Proprietor El Gouna Resort (Egypt)
- Julie Dably Scott…Kenya Travel Business Executive (CWT)
- Femi Adefope… Nigeria Travel Business Owner ( HRG, CWT, GHI, APG)
- Richard Akerele…Logistics and Airlines Support Services (ASL Newrest)
- Taiwo Afolabi…Chairman SIFAX Airport Logistics
- Zainab Anseil..Zara Tours Tanzania
- Uloma Egbuna…Tour Brokers International, Emirate Holidays, Royal Carribean (Nigeria)
- Amos Wekesa…Ugandan Tour Operator
- Peace Anyiam Osigwe… Convener Africa Movie Academy Awards, AMAA
- Ben Murray Bruce…Silverbird Galleria and Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria
- Governor Ben Ayade… Organiser Carnival Calabar
- Rick Taylor….MICE Expert (South Africa)
- Rabbi Kohan – Executive Director Panafest (Ghana)
- Tom Kunkler – Organiser Kilifair and SITES (Tanzania)
HERITAGE & CULTURE
- Professor Zahi Hawass – Egyptologist and Former Curator of the Heritage of the Pharaohs
- Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi – King of Yorubas and Promoter of Olojo Festival
- Emir of kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi – Custodian of Kano walls and Durbar Festival
- Oba of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa Ewuare II – Custodian of Benin Moat and Igue Festival
- Obi of Onitsha, Nnaemeka Alfred Achebe – Ofala Festival
- King Mswati – Swaziland Reeds Dance Umhlanga Festival.
- Otumfuo Osei Tutu II – AKwasidae Festival (Kumasi, Ghana)
For the Past 15 years AKWAABA Africa Travel Market has been the major international and largest marketing platform to meet with airlines, Travel Agents, Hotels, Tourism boards both foreign and local, the media and general travelling public in West Africa. Akwaaba Travel Market has grown to become the most important travel marketing platform in the region drawing attendance from over 7,000 to 10,000 Visitors from 20 Countries.
A vibrant must attend 3-day business to business event presenting a diverse range of destinations to Africa and international travel professionals, it is a unique opportunity for African travel trade market to meet, negotiate, network and conduct businesses with top players in Travel and Tourism. The 3rd Edition of the West African #jollofrice War will be on Sunday the 22nd. The Aviation day and the Youth Tourism Panels will hold on Tuesday the 24th. Dubai and Gambian day will be on Monday the 23rd. Ghana Day and Nigeria Day will be on Sunday the 22nd.